Eyeful

Eyeful
Eye to eye with a Great Horned Owl.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

OK, so sometimes it pays to get up.

Woke before sunrise, can't even blame the dog. As I rolled over, I glanced out the window. Damn. Fog. Probably should get up. Might be some nice shots to be made during a sunrise in the fog. Naw. Roll over and try to go back to sleep. Not working. Still thinking about the gol darned fog. It's messing up a nice morning doze.

OK, OK. I'll get up. But I'm not happy about it. Neither is the dog. He seems perfectly content to lie right there. Well, as long as I'm up I'll grab a camera, take the dog out and see what develops. Oh great, the fog's lifting. All I see is sunshine and blue sky. But the sun is still low and the angle of light is good so we might as well keep going. As we walk, I key-in on the light coming through the fresh, green leaves and start taking pictures. As usual, they're pretty indifferent ones at first, but as we get warmed up more interesting prospects begin to present themselves - or more accurately, begin to be realized.



At the end of the walk, we stroll down to the lake and with vestiges of the earlier fog lingering above the stillness of the lake finally get some shots that make the early outing very much worthwhile. 

For this shot I zoomed in to eliminate the extraneous elements along the near shore in order to reduce the scene to a few simple parts. With so few points of reference, it becomes more graphic and almost abstract. Works for me. I tried it in B&W too and it works pretty well, but in color the image still has a very limited palette and I really like the variations of the blues. They help offset the low contrast that tends to weaken it in B&W.

What do you think?


Yeah, when I look at it again as I post it, it just looks too flat in B&W. It really becomes a quite different picture. I still like it, but it's different -- the clouds and far shore seem to float more. Post comments if you care to weigh-in.

So anyway, I posted it as my new homepage image for this coming week. Hot out of the camera. A mere babe. Only a few hours old.



No comments:

Post a Comment